Monday, January 19, 2009

Recipes

OK. Here it is...the definitive Steinmetz family recipe for turkey stuffing. I guess you can use it for anything else you want to stuff too, but for a Christmas turkey....here goes.
For a 12 lb turkey (or larger)....1 1/2 loves of white bread cubed...4 cups of celery cut into small pieces...2 med. onions (diced)...1 lb loose sausage..( I use mild, but some folks like the hot sausage. To save time on the day of turkey I usually cook the celery and onions together with some margarine the day before. On turkey day I brown the sausage and mix it and the celery/onion mixture with the bread. Then add a little canned broth (chicken or vegetable) to moisten. (sometimes I add a little milk if I have no broth.) Salt and pepper sparingly.

Clean turkey...don't forget to take the bag of giblets out of the neck. Then fill bird cavity and also the neck with stuffing. I dust a cooking bag with flour and put the stuffed bird in the bag. If turkey doesn't have a pop-up thermometer I stick a cooking thermometer between thigh and breast and bake at 350 for 15 minutes per lb. Usually I have stuffing mixture left and I put it in a greased casserole and bake it after the bird is done.

This recipe is rather a loose one. You may have to make a few adjustments to your taste adding more onions or celery or even more sausage if you'd like, but I have made this for many years and it's always a hi-light of the holiday dinner. Good luck..Bonapetite.

Thanks to Carla Steinmetz for on-line coaching. Love to family and friends in Florida

1 comment:

Carla said...

Excellent - I'll definitely be using this recipe. It's easy and tasty!

GO STEELERS!