Hello out there in cyberspace....The question for the day is "are you a reader?" As a lifelong reader (well, since first grade) I can't understand people who don't read. I know with computers etc. reading is becoming a lost art, sort of like letter writing, but I'm never completely at ease unless I have a book at hand.
The Saint is also a reader. Although we don't have the same tastes in reading, he usually has a book in progress. I, on the other hand, usually have a couple going at the same time. I told someone the other day that I read 2 or 3 books a week. They were impressed. My tastes run to mysteries but I'll read anything (even the Saint's military history books) when I'm desperate.
One of my problems is that I usually can't recall the writer's name when I'm recommending a book. This week, I read "The man who made lists" and "Hush". The first wasn't a mystery but was about Roget of Roget's thesaurus fame. A biography...This man lived long and evaded the family curse of madness by making lists from the time he was a child. Very interesting. The other book was a mystery involving a serial killer and had a couple of interesting characters. I think this author has a series going for her.
So, back to reading. In the old days when I went to school children were not encouraged to know much before they went to school. No kindergarten, but the first day of first grade I remember going home and reporting to my mother that I couldn't read yet. What a disappointment. The first word I ever learned to read was....go. That started me off and I haven't stopped yet. Hooray for the written word.
A few years ago I was talking with a nonreader. He actually was illiterate and encouraging him to stick it out with his tutor. I asked him what he liked to read and he said, "nothing." I told him that someday he'd want to know something and there wouldn't be anyone around that he could ask about the subject and the only way to find out about it would be to read.
I read, therefore I am...to paraphrase that I think, therefore I am fellow.
That's all, folks. Till next time.
Christmas Dinner
-
Dinner with the family, and also Anton and family. Christmas pup!! 🐶 Bill
was driving earlier in his Tesla with the Christmas theme. 🎅🤶
8 months ago
2 comments:
I love reading too! I've not had much of a chance with the boys around, but I would usually have several books in progress "back in the day". Fortunately, your grandson JL has become quite the reader. He's been burning through the Harry Potter series recently.
I read Mom. I think I get that from you. And I write my own blog and I am very long winded. So much for the boy that didn't have much to say when I was a kid.
Post a Comment