Friday, November 6, 2009

Catching Up

Hey, gang. Al is getting ready to play golf in a tournament for the food bank. Admission price is 15 cans of something for them. I'm sure he took a whole lot more than 15 cans. That's next weekend. As for me...today is the set-up day for the Arts Show at church. I've got 20 paintings of various sizes and 6 "wearable" art pieces. The wearable stuff are scarves. I hope I sell something...but even if I don't...there are no chance for sales if your creativity is "under the bed."

My art class at the Senior Center is almost over for this season...two more sessions. Then we won't start again until after the holidays. There isn't any use trying to have class when you have 2 major holidays in 2 months. I would be ready, but my students wouldn't.

The next project is to take crochet and knit pieces to the local Hermitage library for display in December. My crochet group has lots of stuff to put in the cases. They have 2 closed cases and although we don't get to put the display up....we will have lots to brag about. I am even going to put in a piece that Kathy Brown gave me. Just to include her in the display. We have about 10 (off and on) ladies that come on Mondays....usually 5 or 6 each week. I'll be writing up a short piece on the history of the group and our charity efforts.

A couple of weeks ago several of us went to THE BIG STITCH which in conjunction with national volunteer week had to goal of knit/crochet (ing) 2500 hats for different agency's needs during the winter...Cancer chemo caps...and baby hats for hospitals, etc. The day ended with the grand total of 2460 hats. Of course...most of the people who attended the day's events brought hats with them....you can't get 2460 hats out of 100 stitchers in only one day...but that was a successful event. Lots of fun, too.

Tomorrow is Joan and Maura's fall festival. The king and I will be attending and putting our bids in on the silent auction. I always think that because we go so early we won't be winning any bids, but usually Al bids enough on "golf stuff" that he gets a call telling him that he is the winner!!! Lots of fun there.

Got the property taxes last month and I paid them even though they weren't due until February. My friend says she never pays them till the last day, but I'm just like my Mom...I get a bill and hardly open it up before the checkbook is out and the payment is "in the mail." I can't stand having a bill unpaid.

It has been suggested that we pay our bills on line, but I guess I'm just too old fashioned. I like writing the checks and mailing them. As this is my habit over the years I've never had to pay a late penalty.

Yesterday was a sad day in Texas. We live in a strange world, don't we?

I'll close for now. Till next time

No comments: