Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Haiti, etc.

Poor Haiti. Lots of aftershocks after the earth quake of yesterday. Ten people from our church were scheduled to go to Haiti on a medical mission on this coming Saturday. I'm sure they won't be going. Pictures coming out of Port-a-Prince don't look good. Haiti--the poorest country in the western hemisphere....corrupt governments...over populated...no work. I'm sure we'll get a report soon on what's happening to our sister parish. I'm not sure where it is located geographically in relationship to the capital, but Haiti isn't a large country and we have always been told by our folks that getting there from Port-a-Prince is a long and difficult drive.
It has always surprised me that the Dominican Republic a country which shares the island with Haiti has such a different economy. I believe it must have something to do with their governmental structure.

The days ahead for the Haitian people will not be easy ones. We must remember them in our prayers and send them any aid we can.

On to other topics...my art class started yesterday. I only had four students but I know that I'll be getting some more. I'm chalking it up to the weather...another freezing day in Nashville. The only trouble with students not starting together is that you are playing catch-up for the rest of the session. Trying to keep everyone together is difficult when they don't all start together. Ah, well...I won't be giving grades so everything there will come together.

I got my compost container all together and I'm ready to start composting. I'm trying to decide where to put it. I don't think I want it under the deck...so I'll probably put it in the back of the yard. The book says put it near the garden but I don't think I want it that close. I don't want to have another "thing" for the yard guys to work around.

The Paters and RoseMary are due to come in sometime on Friday. They are driving. It's a long hard drive to middle Tennessee no matter where you come from so they will be tired and cranky when they get here. Since we will be doing Christmas with them when they come the tree is still up. I did put away many of my nativities...just left a couple out. Trying to baby proof what Isabel can reach. I don't know how long they are staying, but we are glad for the visit. It's nice to see all our far away children and grandchildren even for a little while.

Sorry to read that flag football had to be postponed due to chilly weather. The weather situation is very strange. The first 12 days of January 2010 have been the coldest here since the 1940s..I think that's what the weather people have been saying. However, we are due a break in the cold weather this weekend. Temps predicted in the high 40s...Now that's more like it.

Got to go. Till next time.

No comments: