I've been thinking about fear a lot lately. Fear is that feeling in your stomach when "something" isn't right. Soldiers get that feeling when going into battle. Mothers get that feeling when children are ill. Patients get that feeling when heading for the operating room. Fear is a universal emotion.
The fear lately in our country is that we are heading for economic disaster. I've looked at the people I know. Yes, several folks have lost their jobs...but more are still working. Yes, some families need food assistance, but more are helping out their neighbors. Some families because of the general laxatity in banking practices or their own ineptness are out of their homes. All cases we hear of "those in need" break our hearts.
In all the above cases, most folks in need are getting help from family and friends. People are willing to "go the extra mile" to help others. Because of the general downturn, charities are becoming more creative...our local food bank partnered with the library to garner "cans of food for library fines". This was a win-win for everyone. Libraries got their books back...the food bank received much needed thousands of cans of food for their clients.
I read every day of churches that are behind in their budgeted collections. (My own church included.) But on the other hand...I read that churches are opening their doors to the poor and homeless with shelters and food kitchens.
I recall the words of FDR..."the only thing we have to fear is fear itself." It seems to me that listening to the nightly news re: the stock market, energy prices, job losses, etc. doesn't help the general condition. Even those of us who are relatively unscathed by the current situation can become victims of the mindless "FEAR" broadcast.
I'm not like the bird with his head in the sand, trying to pretend things I can't see mean they aren't there, but I think all the negative press creates a climate that isn't productive. As a nation, we've seen hard times before and I'm sure we'll see them again. Let's put our national mindset to figuring a way to make things better.
In the words of another great man...Pope John Paul II..."Be not afraid." We will survive and we will prosper. Till next time.
Christmas Dinner
-
Dinner with the family, and also Anton and family. Christmas pup!! 🐶 Bill
was driving earlier in his Tesla with the Christmas theme. 🎅🤶
8 months ago
1 comment:
You know Roberta - I am getting that same feeling these days. What is the world coming to?? I am ever hopeful that I worry about nothing, but that feeling keeps nagging away. Keep on praying.
Post a Comment