Hi, again. I'm stuck on embarassing moments this week. I think because Easter is upon us I'm recalling the MOST embarassing moment of my life....thus far, that is. (I'm sure I'll have many more.) This is the moment I call my "humbling Easter moment."
A few years ago we were having an Easter sunrise service at our church. The time came and all was in readiness on the soccer field. I was scheduled to be a "reader" that a.m. and I asked our Deacon Hans if there was anything else he wanted me to do. He said, "Pick out a couple of hymns and lead them."
No problem, I thought as I have a decent singing voice and I've sung in choir. So, Hans and I headed off to the field where Father Steve and the congregation was waiting. Mass proceeded without incident. I read my readings... Hans read the gospel...Father Steve gave an appropriate homily and then during the preparation of the alter for the sacrement...Hans gave me the high sign and I started into the hymn.....Jesus Christ is Ris'n Today. Now this hymn is well known and everyone sang along along...weakly, but along. No one had songsheets as that detail was forgotten in the anticipation of the day. Soon it appeared that no one remembered the words. I was the only one with a songbook. Soon I was singing alone. Soon I had lost the melody. I was redfaced and almost humming. Then, as Al said later, I said the dumbest thing ever. I said "Let's try the second verse." Opps. We did and they did and I did, and Hans standing beside me put his arm around me tried to give me moral support.
Alas, it was no use. I was totally embarassed. My friends and fellow congregants tried to comfort me later, but I knew the truth. Deacon Hans and Father Steve knew the truth. God knew the truth. I had totally messed up.
Walking away that a.m. I knew that God had humbled me. So much for cockiness. You can't be sure of yourself, if you are unprepared.
Of course, the next day, I was over my shame, (a little). In retrospect I thought it was funny so I told everyone at work what I had done...labeling the incident as my humbling Easter experience. Al says I'm the only person he knows who does something dumb and then tells the word. Here I am putting it into cyberspace. Am I nuts or what? That is a rhetorical question...don't answer it.
Got to go...stupid things to do....Next time I'll maybe tell you about the time the policeman stopped me for ......well, as I said...another story for another time...maybe.
Christmas Dinner
-
Dinner with the family, and also Anton and family. Christmas pup!! 🐶 Bill
was driving earlier in his Tesla with the Christmas theme. 🎅🤶
8 months ago
2 comments:
It must run in the family. Let me tell you about Jean-Luc's most embarrassing moment today at church. I went to pick him up at his friend Cole's house where he had spent the night so that he could get to his final Confirmation class. I brought some extra clothes (thankfully) so he could change and be presentable. So, we were in the common room having a donut and a lemonade (coffee for me) before the class started. One of my friends, Sharon, and her family stopped by for a quick chat. Jean-Luc was holding the donut and lemonade in the same hand, then tried to take a bite from the donut. You guessed it, the lemonade spilled all down the front of his shirt as everyone watched. Fortunately, I brought extra shirts so he was able to get presentable *again* before the class actually started. And I did tell him this would become a "Stupid Jean-Luc" tm story...
That is a good one there Mom. You never told me that one. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment