Monday, June 1, 2009

Reality shows

There must be something wrong with me that I don't find any "reality show" interesting. I know why the producers make these shows...it's much less expensive than having a cast and crew dedicated to a sitcom or detective show. Although come to think of it...how much does it cost to send 12 strangers to a desolate island and keep everyone alive for the duration of a season? Or how about sending folks on an around the world race? Or how about the cooking, modeling, makeover shows? I don't know.

What I do know is that I find these shows less than thrilling. I'm especially unhappy right now with Jon and Kate plus 8. I know these folks are having their troubles and that's not fun for them. The public never seems to get enough of dishing the dirt about those who are celebrities or near celebrities. Even though I think those little children are darling...I have resolved myself not to watch their show or read about their troubles. I do know that those parents invited the world into their lives and now that the bloom is off the rose...they are unhappy with the paparazzi and others skulking around their private lives. I felt the same way about Princess Diana...you can't have it both ways. If you present yourself as a public figure then you can't complain about your privacy being invaded by the media. I hope the children and parents survive this media frenzy and take themselves out of the spotlight. I'm sure it is difficult to reconcile a troubled marriage under the best of circumstances and on a scale of 1-10, I'd give Jon and Kate about a 4 in favor of fixing their marriage.

As I said to someone near and dear to me....I don't watch Idol or Race or any of the other "reality" shows...not on purpose that is...sometimes one or another slips through my radar. I don't watch them because I have a life of my own...boring as it is...but it is my own reality.

So, I'll enjoy my fantasy television...Law and Order (in all it's permutations)...NCIS, CCI, all stories which perhaps are based on fact, but are fictionalized for my viewing enjoyment. Also, I like Book Beat and always the history channel. I'm leaving all reality to those folks out there who mark their calendars for their faves. I know there are more of those folks than there are folks like me...but that's ok....In fact...I still like to read books.

That's it.

To all the family travelers out there. Enjoy your travels...come home safe and have a reality show of your own to tell us about upon your return...Till next time.

1 comment:

Bill Steinmetz said...

We watch Celebrity Apprentice and that is about it reality tv wise.